A Suprise Winter Theme Elephant Baby Shower Cake Made In Newcastle Upon Tyne.

The Lady contacted me through my website, she came from another cake maker that had recommended me for my baby shower cakes. This is always really nice to know that another cake maker has highly recommended you. The customer started off by saying she loved the elephant cakes on my website and would like to have elephants on her cake. She asked for one of them to have a nappy on, with the cake set as a winter theme.

winter elephant cake 6.jpg

Baby Shower Cake Customer's Specification

The customer asked for a Victoria sponge on both tiers, with a lovely butter cream middle and filled with strawberry jam. After that it was ready to be covered in my mouthwatering ganache. You can view how I apply ganache and what you need, over on my youtube channel.

Elephant Baby Shower Cake Preparation

Once the ganache is on the cake I mixed some pale pink edible gel into my luxury fondant. The cake was covered using the upside down method to obtain outstanding sharp crisp edges. After this I covered the board with white fondant and snow. The method used to make the snow was to take 3 sheets of edible paper, rip it up and pop it into the food processor. This was then set aside in a bowl. To make the cake really stand out I added glitter within the snow. I simply just put a little drop of water on where I wanted the snow to be added, before adding the snow onto the board. Each time I walked passed the cake I could see it twinkle and sparkle in the light, just like you can on a cold winters night.

winter elephant cake 1.jpg

Elephant Baby Shower Cake Design Working Together

My customer had picked the lettering phrase "Goodbye Tummy Hello Mummy" from another one of my elephant cakes. To do the lettering I used tappets. To make the cake winter themed I thought I would stick hats and scarfs on all of the elephants. Not forgetting the nappy on the baby elephant! I sent a picture of the elephants to the customer, I am a firm believer in keeping the customer informed. Providing pictures of the cake's progress means that if anything needs changing the customer can then text back straight away.

Customer feedback means I can change any figures they do not like, its the little things that make a big difference! Communication does not take much effort from me, it's important for the customer to be involved. Some customers of course prefer a surprise when they collect the cake which after a few photos this customer also requested.

Winter elephant cake 2.jpg

Elephant Baby Shower Cake Figure Free Tutorial

I love to make elephants posing in different positions, this elephant design was taken off one of my YouTube tutorials which I will add below. I just changed his colour and his hat. To add an extra touch I also included a bird on the video end photo. If you would like to make this elephant I have also included in the video description box a link to everything you will need.

The top tier was done with a few moulds and cutters; to create the height I inserted them into the wire combined them together and stood them up. I also did a tree bark and I used a few different edible dusts just to give it a colourful look like a bit of bark.

win ter elephant cake 9.jpg

Bespoke Baby Shower Cake

Don't forget the little baby elephant with the nappy on. When I set the baby elephant into position, it just didn't look right. I took a step back, finally it came to me… it had to have a kite to make it different from my other elephant cakes. Of course it has to be different because thats why we do bespoke cakes for customers.

To finish the cake off, fondant was rolled into balls then I dipped them in water and put snow on them before dotting them around board.

winter elephant cake 4.jpg

A lovely Appreciation From Another Happy Customer.

The baby shower was on Sunday. After the customer came back from the party she contacted me to say they really loved it and her son and daughter in law was over the moon with it. Its lovely to get feed back and a thank you because I do truly try my best with all my cake designs. When customers notice how much work you put into the cakes, it's just lovely.

I would like to take the time to thank Jaquline for choosing Hell of a cake to make your special cake, once again this is why its more than just a cake.